Monday, March 17, 2014

Friend of God




I sat there on my Army tuff box drinking whiskey, and enjoying the warm, sunny fall afternoon.  It was October 12 and I had made it.  As I sat reflecting on my journey and life a phrase entered my ear as if in a whisper, “Friend of God.” God was pleased with me.  I started to feel a closeness to him that I had never felt before.  I wanted for nothing.  He was my Shepard and we were buddies to the extent a Man can be Friend of God.  

I looked up the phrase on my iPhone.  Moses, David, and a few of the prophets were called Friend of God in the Bible, but the more interestingly I found a group of Medieval monks that called themselves the Friends of God that nearly became a separate sect of the Catholic church.   These Men endured war, famine, and bubonic plague, and their trials helped them to grow spiritually.  They grew in faith until they were complete, and lacking in nothing. (James 1:2-4)  They started a renaissance and revival along the Rhine River.  One of their greatest influences was Meister Eckhart who taught people to surrender all to Christ, and to detach one’s self from material possessions, to embrace trials.  That is basically what I had just done.  I left everything I knew behind, and had only my truck, a broken computer, a phone, some clothes, and a few personal items. 

Detaching yourself from material possessions doesn’t mean you should live in poverty.  God asked Abraham to sacrifice his only son Isaac, his pride and joy, and when God saw that Abraham was going to go through with it, God told him to stop.  Because of Abraham’s faith and righteousness God decided to make a covenant with Abraham, and Abraham birthed a nation which included David and Jesus.  If you are willing to detach yourself from the things you love most for God, and live for him, he will give you great power and prosperity through Jesus.  You can make a personal covenant with him. 

These Friends of God in Germany were the predecessors to Martin Luther and the Protestant reformation.  They promoted individual Bible reading and taught that the everyday hardships and labors and trials of the common folk could be used to help develop faith and patience as explained in the book of James.   Jesus was the son of God, but he was also a man, a man who received his pay as a laborer, a carpenter, working under the hot sun long hours a day.  I image even the Son of God needed to be conditioned to endure and to faithfully fulfill God’s plan.  I suffered long the last four or five years.  I guess God helped me tap into something in my patience suffering. 

In Revelation it talks of those who come out of a great tribulation, and have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the lamb.  (Revelation 7:14)  Being white means being innocent like a virgin bride in her white dress on her wedding day.  God frequently calls the Israelites prostitutes, committing adultery as a metaphor for their idolatry against him.  God allows the Israelites to be enslaved by the Babylonians as a way to punish them for their wickedness, and condition them to do his work.  After seventy years of captivity God calls them back to their holy land, and says how beautiful they are, like a virgin bride on her wedding day.  Through our trials and tribulations we can be made pure and innocent.  Good deeds do not make up for sin, but through patient endurance and suffering we learn to overcome sin, to let go the idols of our heats, to appreciate and have a heart for those who also suffer, and to build faith and patience becoming complete and lacking in nothing.    

Over the next couple weeks God shared a lot with me through his spirit.  I would read something that struck a chord with me in my Bible, or remember something I had learned growing up, and then search for in on the internet or in the library at MTSU.  Every day I would have my mind blown and perceptions challenged by what I was learning.  The enemy’s lies started to melt under my gaze and I started to see the world as it truly is, and especially my past, and how God had been preparing me for this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment